- We introduced our first Student Representative – Kyoko Saito, a 6th grade violinist – who joined us for this meeting. Student reps are not required at meetings but have an open invitation to attend and reach out to us at any time with suggestions and opinions. We would like to have a representative from all MS & HS Music Groups (Band, Chorus, Orchestra).
We are looking for additional ways to reach out to our school community and increase our mailing list – we are working on a Facebook page, and welcome any suggestions.
Certificates of Recognition will be given out to our Elementary Chorus, Band & Orchestra for the first time! These students give up their own time (before school, recess, etc.), to participate in these musical performance groups! The certificates will be awarded at the Elementary Award Ceremonies.
Thanks go to Dan Schulz, President of the Sports Club for blasting our website link to their membership – we had over 100 visitors to our site last Friday alone!
Eastchester Youth Council’s Summer Theater! We were lucky enough to be joined by Bunny Rappaport, the Founder & Producer of 30 summer theater productions as well as her current Musical Director, Stu Rabin.
- Bunny shared anecdotes about her 30 years of experience and emphasized the importance of live, student musicians. Bunny has always used students for her pit orchestra. She also emphasized the important educational opportunity this experience gives student musicians to: 1) play original Broadway scores and 2) learn the art of accompaniment to theater performers whose timing and stage needs may require a change to the music performance moment to moment. It’s an incredible opportunity for advanced student musicians!
- Musicians, Actors, Tech Crew (ages 13-21) interested in signing up for this summer’s show can attend one of 2 open sign-up nights Tuesday, May 12th or Thursday, May21st (7pm, 1st floor community room, Town Hall). All instruments welcome!
- Rehearsals will be be held at the Eastchester High School from 6:30-10:00pm, Mon,Tue,Wed beginning the week of June 29th – with additional Thursday rehearsals at Town Hall, as needed. The week before the performances, rehearsals will be daily.
- The performances will be on July 31st and August 1st, and will be held at Eastchester High School.
- This unique program is FREE for all actors, musicians and tech crew! Bunny acquires grants to cover all costs.
We were having such a great time with Bunny, that we ran out of time and were unable to discuss the MS/HS NYSSMA medals or the Jazz Cafe update! Stay tuned for more information!
Don’t miss our next meeting! May 20th, 7:30PM, MS Cafeteria
Join us for our next general Music Boosters meeting – bring a friend, ALL are welcome! Tuesday, April 28th (7:30pm, MS Cafeteria)
At this meeting:
Learn about the 31st year of the Eastchester Youth Council’s Summer Theater Program – sign-ups are in May for Actors & Musicians (pit orchestra). The Producer (Bunny Rappaport) and Musical Director (Stu Rabin) will be on hand to answer your questions!
MS & HS NYSSMA Medals – This year and next.
MS/HS Joint Music Awards Night being planned for next year.
Elementary Music (Band, Chorus, Orchestra) Certificates to be given in appreciation of our young musicians.
MS & HS Student Representatives – Application process now open.
Jazz Cafe Update – Many thanks go to our very own Anne Hutch parent Laurie Duffy (www.fastlinenservice.com) for the donation of custom linens for the event!
REFRESHMENTS needed! To donate baked goods or beverages to the meeting, please contact our hospitality chair, Lorraine Verge: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the votes we collected from the music faculty:
MS/HS Bands & Orchestras:
#2 won with 59% (177 votes)
#3 had 15% (45 votes), #1 had 26% (80 votes)
Greenvale & Anne Hutch Bands:
#2 won with 63% (72 votes)
#1 had 21%, (24 votes) #3 had 16% (18 votes)
Greenvale Chorus votes resulted in #2 being the clear winner as well (count not available).
#2 won with 68% (155 votes)
#1 had 18% (41 votes); #3 had 14% (32 votes)
#2 won with 60% (133 votes)
#1 had 22% (48 votes); #2 had 18% (39 votes)
We’d also like to give special recognition to Sandy Chilson, a multi-talented HS student musician who played percussion in the professional pit band for the show! Great job!
Student voting ended 4/17. Thank you to all the music faculty who have helped us with the student vote!
We are still waiting for some of our faculty to report their results – check back next week for the winning logo!
LOGO VOTE: We decided to put the Music Boosters logo vote to the students after determining the top 3 designs from the initial votes submitted by parents, admin and teachers. Final logo design will be announced at the next general meeting: April 28th, 7:30pm, MS Cafeteria.
Elementary Musician Recognition: Dr. Hattar joined us to discuss his ideas for recognizing our elementary band, chorus and orchestra participants. He is researching the possibility of reflecting participation in these elementary music performance groups on the Greenvale and Anne Hutchinson report cards. In addition, Dr. Hattar would like to work with us to help organize the distribution of “Certificates of Participation” to all elementary band, chorus and orchestra members at the end of each school year. This will likely begin this June. Mr. Zantay, our Elementary Band Director, suggested combining the two elementary schools for a joint music participation award ceremony. Details have not yet been ironed out, but the Music Boosters will assist in any way we can. In addition, Dr. Hattar would like to see a link to the elementary concerts posted on the district website, listing the musicians names, as an additional way to recognize these students.
Jazz Cafe: We still need donations of food and beverages as well as volunteers for set-up, break-down and serving refreshments during the event. To help out, contact the event chair: Rose Poletti, email@example.com
EMB Student Representatives: We discussed the idea of creating spots Middle School and High School Music Boosters Student Representatives. Designated students would be asked to represent the student musician perspective to the group at meetings. Details have yet to be worked out.
Music at Waverly: Mrs. Ness joined us at this meeting and ideas were brainstormed for bringing additional music events to our K-1 students. Ideas included bringing donated instruments to the school for integration into Mrs. Ness’ classes and bringing older student musicians to Waverly for performances and question/answer sessions.
Music Boosters Minutes for the Inaugural Meeting Feb. 24, 2015
Called to order at 7:10 pm
Diane Lama President called the meeting to order
- Introduced herself
- Introduced Marlo Hunter the VP
- Introduced Dawn Tyrrell in charge of Membership
- We have positive feedback amongst the staff
- Goal to show pride in the students and the programs here at Eastchester
- Looking to promote the performances of all levels across to the district. Not just have the performances attended by the parents of the students playing, but have others families to attend
- Parents of former students are thankful about this group starting up.
- Mentioned not a dues group either after Mr. Cartolano expressed that point for the Eastchester Creative Arts council- instead looking for support from the community
- Cano over at Crestwood Music for one
- PO Box at district office
- District will put a link on the Website for the boosters
- Suggestion from the audience maybe set up a Moodle to post items
- Another goal is longevity and to support the faculty
- What still needs to be done is to
- Finalize the Mission Statement, Create the By-Laws
- Put together the rest of the Bard
- Introduced Dr. Moran and Mr. Capuano
- Presented the Spring Jazz Concert in May and an idea he got from attending the Rye jazz concert
- They did a café type set up
- Liked the idea and would like to do the one in the Spring that way in the Middle School Cafeteria
- Would like the Music Boosters to help with the set up and décor for the function
- Jazz Night Café style might promote a wider gathering of people attending
- One parent suggested maybe doing it on the lawn in front of the cafeteria so families can set up blankets and enjoy.
- Thanked the families and Dr. Moran for the support of the Music program
- Introduced the other Music Faculty members in attendance
Mr. Robert Cartolano:
- Introduced Eastchester Creative Arts Council
- Encompasses all of the arts such as Jazz Co, the Film Program and Players Club
- Announced the Art presentation at the Eastchester Library Thursday Feb. 26th
- He has about 170 names from the different branches of the Art/Dance/ Music
- Not a dues group but be a communicator of the Programs at the school district.
- Talked about how the students spoke to the Board of Ed. Last year when programs were being considered to be eliminated because of budget constraints- especially the film program and it was saved.
Ideas shared/generated by members in attendance:
- Performances Recordings available for the families
- Alumni back
- to talk or play with the current students
- talk to the students about college
- Have jam sessions with either staff- not just the ones who are in the Arts program but other talented staff members or parents but a low key event
- Pep bands at the games
- Making connection to the other age groups – High School students going to the other levels so those students see what the possibilities are. Perform for the younger grades
- Olsen said it has been done in the past but difficult to get the release time for the students
- Could have after school concerts held
- Providing ushers at the concerts
- Booster table at the concerts
- A Waverly Parent proposed A School of Rock type program made available as a club or something
- Hutch parent mentioned the PTA there offered it as an after school club activity but no one signed up for it
- The student run Rock Against Cancer was brought up to the group
- Have a clearing house of all performances
- Have students play at Harvest Fest or Welcome Back Nights
- Music Award night recognize the students who have gone to NYSMA and get them the pins
- Olson mentioned in the past there was a separate awards night for Music
- Group decided aim for 2016 to institute this idea
Meeting Adjourned at 7:50 pm
Notes were put together by speaker not chronological