HEAR IT LIVE! at Concordia Conservatory
What is it?
Hear it Live! is a showcase concert hosted by Concordia Conservatory for student composers & songwriters in elementary, middle and high school. All composers will receive a recording of their work and the concert is free and open to the public. The concert will take place at the Sommer Center on the campus of Concordia College, in Bronxville, NY.
What are the rules?
Hear it Live! is open to composers and songwriters ages 8-18 in elementary, middle or high school in the greater Westchester area. Eligible pieces will be written for (1) the Hear it Live ensemble (piano, flute, two violins, viola, & cello), or (2) your own performers. Composers and songwriters must plan to attend the concert at Concordia College on May 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM.
How do I enter?
Submit a composition either (1) Utilizing the 2016 Hear it Live Ensemble (piano, flute, two violins, viola, & cello), in any combination of 1-5 performers or (2) A composition for which you can supply your own performers. Works should be submitted by March 1, 2017
Fill out the application online at https://goo.gl/qZC2J7
And then submit an mp3 recording (if you have one) and a score and/or lyric sheet (as a pdf) to Matt Van Brink via mvb@concordia-ny-edu. Chosen works will be selected for the performance.
What are the prizes?
A prize of US$75 each will be given to the most accomplished composition in each of two categories (1) elementary school and middle-school aged composers, and (2) high school-aged composers. The prizes will be adjudicated by a panel of established composers and teaching artists.
Eastchester Music Boosters – Meeting Notes
Tuesday, January 17, 2017 – Eastchester High School Library
Eastchester Music Boosters President, Diane Lama, opened the meeting and distributed the following agenda.
- Website/Facebook: Lynn will help to make both sites more pleasing to the eye.
- Membership – sign-up methods: while many people signed up for our mailing list, it was difficult to read the handwriting so we have not been able to reach everyone. We should consider better ways to capture contact information, perhaps use tablets in the future.
- Concert Program – oversight – we will need to reach out to faculty with our logo and contact information for insertion in the programs well before the Spring concerts.
- Communications/student achievement: We learned that an EMS student conducted at Juilliard as part of a Young Composers Concert. It is helpful for us to know about exciting achievements like this so we can help get the word out and provide support.
- Hall of Fame/Wall of Honor: the Middle School principal approved this idea. The date of June 16 at 7pm is on the school calendar for a possible awards ceremony. The Hall of Fame can be changed on a monthly basis.
- Jazz Café – Rose described the plans and décor for this year’s event that is scheduled on 2/9. Last year, about 100 people attended.
- Spring Concerts
- Instrument program at Waverly, 3/6-10: Dr. Cano loans instruments to Mrs. Ness for use in all Waverly music classes, K-1.
- June Event – Music Awards Night: We need to define this event that is on the school calendar.
- Careers in the Arts: This wonderful event will be scheduled for next year.
Music Scholarship Application
Scholarship will be rolled out this year for an EHS Senior who plans to major or minor in music.
- Openings/Changes: Diane reiterated that she will step down at the end of the academic year and she encouraged Board members to consider trying a new and different position.
- NEW – Band Parent/Event Coordinator: Mr. Dodge needs a position like this for band trips.
- Strategy for filling posts
- The MS Band is working with another district, working on a combined piece.
- We need to invite people to submit stories/information about the accomplishments of our students and music information more generally.
- One possible outreach method is to buy an ad in the school play program.
- We should display signage at concerts to encourage the audience to be quiet and move away from the doors.
- $129 was raised by selling donuts and water at the winter concerts.
JOIN the discussion at our next meeting: Tuesday, March 7th at 7:30pm (HS Library) ALL WELCOME!
All winter concerts have been videotaped! Do you have a family member that couldn’t make it to the concert? Here’s your chance to share the concert with them! Also great for your own child’s memory box.
To purchase a copy of your child’s concert video recording, complete and mail in this order form: school-winter-concert-video-order-form
Please click (eastchester-music-boosters-notes-12-1-16) to view the minutes from our last meeting, including announcements and a summary of the wonderful presentation given by Mrs. Smith (unfortunately notes cannot capture the enthusiasm she shared – it was a wonderful presentation!)
Winter Concert Schedule
- 12/8 – Anne Hutchinson Holiday Concert: Thursday 12/8 @ 6:30pm
- 12/12-12/16 – Waverly Holiday Concerts: Monday-Friday 12/12-12/16 (Click Here to find your child’s concert day/time)
- 12/14 – High School Concert: Wednesday 12/14 @7:00pm
- 12/15 – Greenvale Holiday Concert: Thursday, 12/15 6:45pm
- 12/20 – Middle School Holiday Concert – Chorus: Tuesday 12/20 @ 7:00pm
- 12/21 – Middle School Holiday Concert – Band & Orchestra: Wednesday 12/21 @ 7:00pm
What does a Music Teacher do all day? Join us and find out! Thursday, December 1st, 7:30pm, HS Library. All students and parents welcome!
With the deepest gratitude to the Eastchester 5K Committee, we are happy to announce that the following faculty wish list items have been purchased for our school music program:
2 Choral Risers – Greenvale Chorus (Mrs. Smith)
Agogo Bells – Waverly – General Music (Mrs. Ness)
Baritone Sax – Elementary Band (Mr. Zantay)
Bass Clarinet – Elementary Band (Mr. Zantay)
Conga Set with Bongos – Elementary Band (Mr. Zantay)
Intermediate Cello – EHS Orchestra (Ms. Odierna)
Karaoke Machine – EMS/EHS – Adaptive Music (Mr. Gedge)
Ocean Drum – Waverly – General Music (Mrs. Ness)
Parachute – Waverly – General Music (Mrs. Ness)
Sax Reeds / Clarinet Reeds – Elementary Bands (Mr. Zantay)
Tubano – Waverly – General Music (Mrs. Ness)
Vibraphone – EMS/EHS Bands and Orchestras (Mr. Dodge)
Vibratone – Waverly – General Music (Mrs. Ness)
Thank you Eastchester 5K!