- We introduced our first Student Representative – Kyoko Saito, a 6th grade violinist – who joined us for this meeting. Student reps are not required at meetings but have an open invitation to attend and reach out to us at any time with suggestions and opinions. We would like to have a representative from all MS & HS Music Groups (Band, Chorus, Orchestra).
We are looking for additional ways to reach out to our school community and increase our mailing list – we are working on a Facebook page, and welcome any suggestions.
Certificates of Recognition will be given out to our Elementary Chorus, Band & Orchestra for the first time! These students give up their own time (before school, recess, etc.), to participate in these musical performance groups! The certificates will be awarded at the Elementary Award Ceremonies.
Thanks go to Dan Schulz, President of the Sports Club for blasting our website link to their membership – we had over 100 visitors to our site last Friday alone!
Eastchester Youth Council’s Summer Theater! We were lucky enough to be joined by Bunny Rappaport, the Founder & Producer of 30 summer theater productions as well as her current Musical Director, Stu Rabin.
- Bunny shared anecdotes about her 30 years of experience and emphasized the importance of live, student musicians. Bunny has always used students for her pit orchestra. She also emphasized the important educational opportunity this experience gives student musicians to: 1) play original Broadway scores and 2) learn the art of accompaniment to theater performers whose timing and stage needs may require a change to the music performance moment to moment. It’s an incredible opportunity for advanced student musicians!
- Musicians, Actors, Tech Crew (ages 13-21) interested in signing up for this summer’s show can attend one of 2 open sign-up nights Tuesday, May 12th or Thursday, May21st (7pm, 1st floor community room, Town Hall). All instruments welcome!
- Rehearsals will be be held at the Eastchester High School from 6:30-10:00pm, Mon,Tue,Wed beginning the week of June 29th – with additional Thursday rehearsals at Town Hall, as needed. The week before the performances, rehearsals will be daily.
- The performances will be on July 31st and August 1st, and will be held at Eastchester High School.
- This unique program is FREE for all actors, musicians and tech crew! Bunny acquires grants to cover all costs.
We were having such a great time with Bunny, that we ran out of time and were unable to discuss the MS/HS NYSSMA medals or the Jazz Cafe update! Stay tuned for more information!
Don’t miss our next meeting! May 20th, 7:30PM, MS Cafeteria