These are just some of things our wonderful music faculty have been up to over the course of the 2015-2016 school year…
Ms. Katherine Ness
- All kindergarten students made their Eastchester concert debuts performing in the Winter Concerts in December. First grade students performed two concerts this year- the Winter Concerts in December and the Moving-Up Concert in June.
- All students got to experience the instruments of the orchestra before their eyes. As part of a special unit on instrument families, the Music Boosters arranged to borrow several instruments from Crestwood music. The students were fascinated to see the flute, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, violin, harp, snare drum, triangle, and cymbals as part of this special demonstration!
- Westchester Conservatory music therapist Tina Brescia visited our self-contained special education classes for 15 sessions to co-teach with Mrs. Ness.
Ms. AnneMarie Smith (Greenvale)
- Second Graders performed a musical revue “Everyday is Earth Day.” It was well received; both students and audience were pleased with the outstanding performance of such a young group!
- Third Graders performed a recorder concert to display the skills they had acquired from recorder study throughout the year. Each class performed an individual piece and a finale was performed by the entire grade level. An impressive listening experience was enjoyed by all!
- Fourth and Fifth Grade Chorus Members performed two wonderful concerts this year-a Winter and Spring Concert. All 186 members sang their hearts out to a “sold out” audience at Eastchester High School. Soon there will not be enough risers to hold all the chorus members; nor room in the auditorium for their adoring fans! Bravo, Greenvale!
Mr. Doug Zantay (Elementary Band Program)
- All 4th graders were introduced to their instruments and were instructed on a rotating lesson schedule 1 or 2 times per week.
- All 5th grade band students were scheduled for rotating lessons 1 or 2 times per week. They performed a Winter Concert.
- All 4th graders were combined into 1 group by January and began rehearsing as a band
- The 5th grade band was combined with the 4th grade band by the end of April. The 4th graders performed a Spring concert with the 5th graders and also by themselves as a separate band. The 5th graders also performed with the 4th grade band and by themselves.
- The Anne Hutchinson 4th grade band performed for both the Awards Ceremony and the 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony at the end of June.
- Nine 4th and 5th grade band students performed a NYSSMA solo. One student participated in All County band.
Mr. James Gedge (Adaptive Music Teacher)
- All of my adaptive music students attended a workshop and performance of “Up and Away” at Lincoln Center. Including the NBC News segment featuring some of our kids.
- The New York Philharmonic Orchestra was the subject of another Lincoln Center trip for a rehearsal featuring a new work based upon the late Impressionistic era known as DaDa.
- An acting troupe from the Lincoln Center Education Program performed for our 7th grade classes and selected 11th grade classes a performance of “American Revolution.”
- The Westchester Conservatory of Music Special Music teacher, Lisa Sandagata visited our music classes 30 times to team teach with Mr. Gedge’s adaptive classes.
- Two bus loads of 6th, 7th and 8th graders attended the Taconic Opera Performances of Pagliacci and Trial by Jury.
Mr. Mark Dodge (MS/HS)
- 8th grade band was awarded a GOLD rating the NYSSMA Majors Festival.
- Over 60 music students in the middle/high school participated in the NYSSMA Solo Festival.
- Several students were nominated and participated in the Northern Westchester Honors Band held at North Salem High School in October 2015.
- Several students were selected for all-county band and all-county orchestra with performances at SUNY Purchase in March.
- Tri-M National Music Honors Society held a recital at the Eastchester Public Library.
- Tri-M students lead a sing-a-long at IHM in December.
- In December, the HS Full Orchestra, HS Chorus and HS Jazz Band performed in the lobby of the MetLife building in NYC.
Many thanks to you all for enriching the lives and education of our children!